Business and Retail Crime Prevention Tips
1. General protective measures
- Keep the interior, front and rear entrances well lit
- Keep advertising and merchandise out of windows as much as possible
- Always keep the rear and side doors locked
- Be sure your alarms are in good working order at all times
- Ensure video equipment is maintained and in good order
- Do not open your place of business before or after regular business hours
- The store cash register should be located so as to allow a clear view for passing motorists, pedestrians and police patrols.
- Notify the police if suspicious persons hang around your place of business. Be especially alert at opening and closing times.
2. Plan with your employees in case of a Robbery/Theft occurs
Assign employees different tasks in case of a robbery/theft:
- one to call the police (9-1-1)
- one to make observations about the suspect – (write down immediately after)
- one to protect the evidence at the scene of the crime – (do not touch evidence -note etc)
- Remain calm and obey all commands
- Attempt to get direction of last travel of suspect or vehicle plate/info
3. Install Surveillance and Security Cameras
- We highly recommend that all retail businesses use a digital video recording system to monitor and record customers. The use of video and photographs of suspects are highly useful in investigations are a proven deterrent.
4. Register your Alarm with Peterborough Police
- Allows for quicker response time by police
- Contact 705-876-1122
- Alarm Registration Policy
5. Money Handling/Deposits
- Do not keep large amounts of cash on the premise
- Keep decoy or “bait” currency on hand to give suspect
- Use a drop safe or night deposit. When making night deposits have someone with you, stagger your delivery times and DO NOT carry money in sight.