The Peterborough Police Service wishes everyone a safe and enjoyable Canada Day Long Weekend! By following a few simple safety precautions we can all help prevent a crime and make this a safe holiday for everyone.
Please keep in mind the following this weekend:
- Before heading out for the weekend ensure your house is properly locked and secured and all valuables are out of plain sight. Don’t forget to check that all windows are secure along with your garage door or any other possible entryway into your home.
- If you are going to be away for an extended period of time at the cottage or another destination ensure your home continues to look lived-in. Have a trusted friend or neighbour check on your place and pick up any mail, cut the grass, etc. Use security lighting, motion sensors and lamp timers.
- Slow down and buckle up. Leave plenty of time to get to your destination and ensure all passengers are properly buckled up before heading out.
- Have your vehicle properly maintained and be prepared for roadside emergencies.
- Focus on your driving and keep distractions in your vehicle to a minimum.
- Don’t drink and drive. If you are heading to a party, plan your ride home well in advance and keep the number for a local cab company in your wallet or phone. Or plan to stay overnight.
- If you suspect an impaired driver do not hesitate, call 9-1-1.
- If you’re heading out on the water, boaters are required by law to have enough life jackets/PFDs on board for each person on the boat. Also, impaired driving laws apply to boats as well.
- Don’t announce your travel plans. Wait until you are home from the cottage or your destination to post pics of your holiday. Not all people on your social media accounts may be “friends.”