The Peterborough Police Service reminds residents to lock-it-or-lose-it after thefts from vehicles continue to occur in the City.
Between June 2, 2019 to today’s date (June 11) thefts from vehicles have taken place in areas including Clonsilla Avenue, Charlotte Street, London Street, Rink Street and Adeline Street. Items stolen include loose change, sunglasses and cigarettes.
We remind residents to double-triple check to ensure all vehicle doors are properly locked and secured and any contents of value are hidden and out of plain sight.
Crime Prevention Tips:
- Always double-triple check to ensure your vehicle is properly locked and secure
- Remove keys and roll-up the windows when you park.
- Keep valuables hidden and out of plain sight or locked in your trunk. Never leave valuables out on your seats, dashboard or floor. This even includes smaller items like loose change.
- Don’t leave personal identification, credit cards, vehicle registration or insurance slips in your vehicle.
- Park in well lit areas – if you park in your driveway or carport, try to leave the outside lights on home throughout the night, or install a motion light.
- Do not leave a garage door opener in your vehicle – this may provide the suspect access into your home.
- Consider installing an alarm/anti-theft device on your vehicle.
- Report any suspicious activity to police by calling the Peterborough Police Service at 705-876-1122 or Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS.