The Peterborough Police Service wishes everyone a safe and happy holiday! During the holidays please keep in mind the following safety tips:
- Lock-it-or-lose it. Keep any valuables and gifts out of sight and locked in the trunk of your vehicle or take them with you.
- Don’t show off your gifts. Large displays of gifts should not be visible through the windows or doors of your home. Following the holidays don’t leave any large boxes on your curbside advertising new items inside your home. Instead, cut down the boxes and take to the recycling depot yourself.
- If you’ve done your shopping online make sure you keep your parcels safe from box bandits looking to steal parcels off your front porch. Consider having your goods delivered to someone you know will be home; request in your order notes that your package be signed for upon delivery (That way the courier will have to ring your doorbell and meet you rather than just leaving your package at your door) or request that the delivery person leave your package out of plain sight. If you have a fake plant or hidden nook near your door, leave an order note with clear directions for drop off.)
- If you’re travelling make sure your home looks lived in before you head out. Set lights/radio/television on a timer. Stop mail and newspaper delivery. Ensure your driveway is plowed while you’re away and have a trusted friend check on your home.
- Think before you post. Don’t advertise your holiday plans on social media before leaving.
- Don’t drive impaired, either by drugs, alcohol or both. Use a designated driver, take a taxi, use public transportation or stay over. If you see an impaired driver call 9-1-1.
- Make sure every person in the vehicle is properly buckled up no matter how short the distance travelled.
- Put the cell phone away; many distractions can occur while driving, but cell phones are the main culprit.
- When making a donation, ask for legitimate identification and only donate to registered charities.
- If it seems too good to be true it probably is. If making a purchase online or through a classified ad arrange to meet at a neutral, public location and do not go alone.