The Peterborough Police Service and the Downtown Business Improvement Area (DBIA) are partnering to provide proactive crime prevention tips and information as local businesses in the City of Peterborough, Village of Lakefield and Township of Cavan Monaghan continue to close their doors as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic.
On March 17, 2020 the Government of Ontario enacted a Declaration of Emergency to protect the public from COVID-19. This declaration, in effect until March 31, 2020, includes the mandatory closures of facilities, including bars and restaurants except to the extent that such facilities provide takeout and delivery. The Declaration also prohibits organized public events and gatherings of 50 persons or more. Read the Province’s media release here: https://news.ontario.ca/opo/en/2020/3/ontario-enacts-declaration-of-emergency-to-protect-the-public.html
With fewer businesses open and fewer pedestrians in and around commercial areas in Peterborough, the Village of Lakefield and in The Township of Cavan Monaghan, the Peterborough Police Service and DBIA offer the following safety tips to help keep businesses safe and secure during this unprecedented time:
- Keep the lights on
- Remove all cash and receipts
- Do NOT leave any valuables visible or accessible
- All safe and registers/tills should be emptied and moved offsite for safe storage
- Keep all cash tills and drawers empty and open to show that there is nothing in them.
- All ATMs should be emptied and moved off-site
- All alcohol products should be removed from the restaurant/bar and moved to a secure storage area (no alcohol should be left visible from the outside)
- Consider posting “no cash or valuables on-premises” signage
- Deactivate all scheduled FOB door openings for cleaners and delivery services
- Make regular site visits to monitor your shop/business and to manage inventory and storage conditions (consider scattering the time that this is done to discourage establishing a pattern